At North Chadderton we aim to guide and inspire students as they plan for the next stage in their lives by:
- Providing opportunities for students to develop career management and employability skills
- Working with Parents/Carers to ensure they are informed of the opportunities and options available to their children
- Equipping students with knowledge, skills and attributes to make informed decisions through a relevant and up to date Careers Programme
- Supporting students with personalised information, advice and guidance about Careers and the world of work
- Inspiring students to consider ambitious options to achieve their full potential
- Building strong links with Employers and other training providers
- Facilitating opportunities to experience the world of work
- A personalised leadership programme in the Sixth Form which includes work experience
Personalised Information and Guidance
Ms Rahela Begum is our independent Careers Advisor and is employed by Positive Steps, Oldham. Rahela provides impartial careers advice focussed upon each individual students needs by offering every Year 8 -13 student a one to one personalised interview. We encourage parents to be part of their student’s choices and parents are welcome to attend the one to one interviews or to contact Rahela through the school. Rahela is also available for support and advice at year 8 - 13 Parents Evenings and Parent Conferences. During school holidays Rahela is available at the Centre, Union Street Oldham Tel: 0161 621 9363.
Careers within the Curriculum
We embed careers through our curriculum delivery of SMSC and a four week module of Careers based lessons is taught in Years 7 to 11. The module ensures students are equipped and confident to make the choices that become available to them during the different stages of their secondary education. Careers within the Sixth Form is delivered through the Leadership Programme ,Mentor meetings and visiting speakers.
We have a well resourced careers library situated in the Careers Office and Sixth Form Centre with supplementary information available in the School Library. Students are encouraged to access an extensive range of careers related information and helpful websites on the school VLE. All students have access to the careers digital information screen on the first floor and the information board outside the Careers Office, these are regularly updated with a wide range of information and exciting opportunities
The school organises a wide range of events and activities to provide information and inspire students
- Opportunities to listen and interact with external speakers from a range of occupations and professions through assemblies and SMSC lessons
- Inspiring Men and Women week through assemblies
- “Take your sons and daughters to work day “ an opportunity for Year 10 to experience the “world of work”
- Annual Careers and Apprenticeship Fair involving a range of both local and national business representatives
- Annual Vocation and Training Providers Fair
- Futures Week for the Sixth Form
- Career focussed visits to a range of Business and Professional Companies
- An interactive, activity filled Careers week during March with the “Key 103 Apprenticeship Bus”
- Mock interviews and support for CV and application form writing from our Business Partners for Year 11 and 13
- Visits to Skills North West and Your Choice exhibitions
- Taster days at Local Colleges
- Opportunities for students to explore alternative 14-19 pathways through visits, speakers, taster days and personalised programmes
- Work experience (Sixth Form)
- Wide range of opportunities for Sixth Form students to attend University and Higher Level Apprenticeship taster days.
- Good to great group for students to link with redbrick universities, taster days presentations
- Young Enterprise
- A variety of local and national competitions to develop employability skills
All students have access to the school VLE which contains some very useful information on:
- How to write a cv
- Top jobs and emerging careers
- A-Z index of job profiles
- Job descriptions
- Useful inks and websites
The Careers Team
The Careers Team members are part of national and local networks which provide strong business links and access to wide range of expertise and opportunities.
Mrs G Hindle, Senior Director of Business and HR and SLT link for Careers
Mrs A Greenwood, Director of Sixth Form
Mrs J Sutcliffe, Curriculum Leader of Careers (Year 7 -11)
Miss N Westhead, Director of Raising Achievement KS4 and More Able Students
Mr J Stirton, Curriculum Leader for SMSC
Ms Rahela Begum our Careers Adviser from Positive Steps providing independent and impartial advice.
Mrs Lisa Brierley is our link Governor with responsibility for monitoring career provision across the school.
The school is delighted to have achieved the Stage 2 Inspiring IAG Quality Award and is working towards the Inspiring IAG Gold Award.